Long lost Finniss

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
lincoln
Seadog
Seadog

Long lost Finniss

Post by lincoln »

Shot out to Dundee last Wed ,Thurs for a day on the blue water and a day barra fishing. Road in was still shocking with some massive corrugations on the last 10k. :banghead: After rattling our way in and launching the water started off fairly flat but about half way out to long lost the wind picked up as did the waves. We tried to have a drop straight away but we only got pickers and my deckie was getting a bit green from the swell so we decided on a bit of a troll instead. Not long into it we spotted a school of tuna busting up so we pulled the troll lines in and rigged up a spinning rod with a metal slice. I positioned the boat up wind from the school and cut the engine and not long after the school busted up within casting distance. First cast I landed the slice in the middle of the school and cranked flat out. I had 3 or 4 tuna hit the slice and grab it but I failed to hook up. After checking the slice I noticed the hooks were pretty flimsy and slighty bent from the hits so I upgraded the treble to an owner 6x. Next cast into the school after repositioning the boat the slice was belted again and this time I stayed connected. The tuna hit the after burners and peeled of drag. Man theses things fight hard! After a good battle I boated a nice longtail est about 4 – 5 kilo which I bled and kept for sashimi.
For the next couple of hours we chased around the numerous schools of tuna busting up and had a ball catching numerous longtails and mac tuna that were everywhere.
The wind started to drop of a bit in the afternoon so we tried a few more lumps on the bottom. We were catching heaps of Spanish flags and small reddies that were taking the bait as soon as it hit the bottom. I decided to try some strip bait to see if would last longer and straight away hooked into something that had a bit more go in it. A couple of minutes later a nice trout broke the surface and it was nice to put some quality in the esky! :catch:
After not much action on the bottom we decide to have a troll for some mackies and after finding a few bait schools on the sounder we threw the lures out and trolled around. The only things interested in our lures seemed to be the numerous sharks which became a nuisance!
We hit the jew reef on the way back in and although there was bait schools everywhere we had no action from the jewies.
Once back at the boat ramp we filleted our fish and there was group of guys who had just come back from the Perons and they had cleaned up on goldies.
The next day we decided to hit the Finniss which looked like it was going to be a good move as the wind had picked up again in the morning and it was lumpier than the day before. After a very chilly trip to the mouth we had a bit of a troll in but the tide was up a bit so we decided to shoot up the very top for a bit of a look. The morning started of pretty slow but I wasnt surprised due to the sub artic conditions! After having no luck up the very top we decided to try the rock bars. There was massive schools of small mullet everywhere and heaps of salmon feeding on them but they weren’t interested in our lures.
We decided on a change of tactics and found some tannin runoff still flowing out of one of the creeks so we anchored near the mouth and cast soft plastics in to the colour change. First cast my squidgy was engulfed by a feisty little chrome barra that went just under 60cm.
2 casts later and my SP was smashed again and a bigger fish around 80cm exited the water. About a minute into the fight the fish spat the lure and I was spewin! After this good start I thought, right we are on here but that was all the action we got which was a bit of a let down. :cry:
We trolled the mouth again on low tide and actually had a barra jump out of the water hit the outboard and land on my transom before flicking back in the water but that was as close as we got to landing another fish! :bonk: One thing that did surprise me was the number of crocs down towards the mouth there was heaps! :croc: There was also a couple of decent size ones hanging around right near were people launch of the beach so it could pay to be wary if any one is going to launch from here.
We decided to head of a bit earlier so we could tackle the bumpy seas and even bumpier road home!
Cheers :cheers:

maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

What a bl..dy awesome couple of days fishing. Tuna one day Barra the next with a few nice reefies thrown in. Great report mate, they are the ones that get me itching to head out fishing again! Bring on the long weekend!

Cheers.

:drinking1:
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I really need a boat! Got the green light from the missus....cant wait :captain:
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Nice report Lincoln :wink:
Cheers

Sy
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

A great couple of days fishing :applause: :applause: :applause: 8-)
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous