Shady Fresh/Salt Biting Baz

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Shady Fresh/Salt Biting Baz

Post by doors off »

Popped out to Shady with Mitch from NT Elite Cycles on Sunday as it had been a while since his last Baz trip in Feb. The plan was to hit the Fresh if the H2O was out a bit far and then hit the Salt on the rise and drop till late afternoon. We got to the ramp at about 7:45am and there were quite a few hire boats dealing with the low tide so we left the cue and headed to the fresh ramp. :grin:

We anchored up, put on the plastics and hooked in. We landed 6 on the fresh side with the biggest about 50cm, but hits about nearly every second cast. We caught several Tank size Baz :grin: that I wanted to bring home for my aquatic loungeroom decoration, but scared of getting in trouble so my gold fish still live. :uhh:

All fish were caught on plastics, small squidgy slick rigs (60mm) in grey/pearl, rubber frogs (small!) and Tsunami 60mm Split Tails rigged weedless. Mitch caught a whopper of about 15cm, almost as small as my Jewie from the Narrows last week. :rofl:

We headed down to the Salt side and hooked in pretty well straight away. 8-) We trolled a bit with Gold Bombers, Classic 160 +3s in Blue Bleeding Mullet Dazzler and Green Back Flouro, plus the trusty XRaP SXS10 in Ghost. We picked up 9 fish with me getting upgrades from 59 to 65 to 68 for the comp. Mitch bagged a few legals as well. Some were black as, and others were nice and silver, new arrivals up the river. We landed 10 legal sized fish for the day. :smoking:

We also went up to the second barrage on the Western side and went for a walk along the very high bank and stayed well up and away from the bank :croc: . I found the Baz’s boofing in the grass and pulled a 60 odd golden swampy baz on a hollowbelly. Gave Mitch and another boat that had arrived a call and told em to come up. We cast for about an hour for 5 landed but plenty of hits and dropped fish.

The highlight of the day was bumping into a hire boat with 3 fellas from Vic on board and hearing that they had caught nothing. (that was not the highlight) I told them to follow us and gave them some guidance on what to use and how to do it. They saw us pull a couple of fish so they knew we were not lying but then they got a keeper, I was stoked. :mrgreen: We had a bit of a chat at the ramp and they were very grateful, I was chuffed. A long way to come and a lot money to spend to miss out, great to help them out.

We got most of the fish at the top of the tide and the water was nice and clear on the Fresh side. Did see 3 little kids in the 5-7 yr age bracket playing in the water on the barrage (they were not locally educated kids, but the reflective type whose parents were in ignorant bliss) well in the current flow, I could not believe it, one slip and they and the rescuing drunken parents were :croc: Not fair on the kids. :evil: :banghead: :bonk:

Doors Off :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Doors Off,

Good on you to help the guys from down south.
So many people would have just told them" Tuff titties, this is just fishing".
It is nice to see so fishos act like decent people and not like idiots.
:bow:

I appreciate that all the more, because my fishing dramatically improved when some local started to give me some good tips.

And you seems to have done on the fishing too!

Have a good day,
Pecheur
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Good on ya and some good Karma too! :angel:
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Well done Doors Off....Have just spent ten days trying to get onto some Barra with modest success.

We have all been new to a place at one time or other and it ain't easy to get a handle on things straight away.

Good to see you got onto some, Shady was one of the few places we didn't try.