Fog bay grand slam.

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
double haul

Fog bay grand slam.

Post by double haul »

Ive been talking of this with a couple of mate since last year now, but its only just happend. The idea is like any other grand slam 3 of you top fish to catch in a weekend trip. Only problem with me is i can hardly tear myself away from the billies. We left darwin sat morning with only 2 goals, for the deckie who will now be know as the lucky duck to catch his first sailfish n take him home a big feed of fish. 930am n we pulled up a bowra wide n threw out the gear with things looking like it was going to happen, bait, birds n a few small tuna schools around. Buy 12 it was time to head out wide with the wind dropping. 1pm or so we pulled up 2nms short of the marks from last year for the city, gear goes out lucky duck puts on a dojo n 2 minutes later hes on to his first fish for the arvo. 8-) .130cm fork length n she looks like a clone of last year. 1hr later after hes had another 3 strikes 1 more finaly stayes connected, 170cm fork length and finaly a slightly bigger fish than last yr. Some how during guideing lucky duck so far i finaly managed 1 my self at 140cm. Buy 430pm we had tagged the 3 fish + had 6 strikes n seen a dozen slurping small bait of the top. After a few :drinking1: to many we thought we should start heading in to set up camp for the night. Just 1 nm out from blaze n a lump of rock pops up looking like a christmass tree. The lucky duck mumbles something about a few fish for the freezer and i point to the very big storm about to hit, 2 drops later n 3 jews have to be trunked n put on ice. Buy the time there done we have 1 1/2 mtr waves around us n 4 nms to go to camp at jenny. Buy 8pm we had dinner n were looking to hit the hay after 1 last decussion about the slam.

After a LONG night with bugger all sleep watching storms in every direction we pulled the anchor up n headed towards the Finniss. 8am n nearly half tide n things look grim, out comes the b52 n lucky duck starts to slowly pull in a few, buy 10 the tallys up to 3 or 4 for the duck with quite a few droped n 2 to me. Another 1hr later n a few other boats turned up n the bazzas started to do the same, buy 12am lucky had another 3 n with boats hooking up nearly every where now we had finaly had enough. I should mention at this point ive never fished here for bazzas either. After loading up n heading home quite a few laughs were had n im looking forward to the next trip already, this weekend would have to have rated up in the top 5 trips so far.

Tight lines and happy hunting guys n girls, whos comeing to the city next?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

thats a great trip ,what more could you want apart from the storms keeping away
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Top couple of days DH by the sounds :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
ccc
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ccc »

Cool thread,

Is that a GS Marine Extreme??
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Nice work Brett. Great trifecta there. :drinking1: :bow:
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Great report mate :clap:

Cheers

Sy
Cheers

Sy
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Great Report DH, SOunds like a good weekend :fish:

:applause: That is a ripper pic holding up the two jewies. :applause:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Sounds like the trip f a life time to me...
And yes some really great pics in there.

Do you tag all the sail that you catch?
And have you ever caught one that already had a tag?
If yes what happen then?

Sorry for all the question, but it is time that I get an education...
:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Great trifecta DH! Any one of those fish was worthy of a report....a great commendation for both you lads and Fog bay hey.
top work!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
double haul

Post by double haul »

Spot on ccc shes a 5mtr. Pecheur we tagged a few fish over in the broome comps but ive only just started to here, we haven't caught one with a tag in it yet. So you can see why im so keen to work out whats happening up here with the billies. What little info ive sorced over the last 2yrs has been hard to come buy, at first it seemed like some sort of underground club that existed up here but after a while it turns out there is a hell of a lot of people doing the same thing but you hardly hear about it because of the almighty bazzas. Looks like we might have to book you in for a seat one day mate. :mrgreen: Mr mud i must thank you for putting on some good karma for us mate. MAX get ya ass down there mate its heaven on earth. Faulksy give us a call when you work out the billies down wa way after you settle in. I had been planing a month long trip over there chaseing the big girls. :naughty:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

double haul wrote: Looks like we might have to book you in for a seat one day mate. :mrgreen:
I would be mad keen on this one!!!
:o :grin: :mrgreen:
double haul

Post by double haul »

No worries at all, as long as you can put up with the snoreing n drinking n smokeing n the other 100 or so bad habits i have. :lol: pm me ya number mate.
onebigbarra
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by onebigbarra »

Well done Double,

Did you use that Marlin-X teaser, or is it still in the mail?
Coutta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Coutta »

Well done double haul - reckon we'll have to call u triple haul from now on!

dodgey knot and I will be heading down that way in the lead up to the new moon in april so might see you out there - hoping to get into channel point for a few days but plan B is at least an overnighter out of dundee - i'm guessing you may be around them parts then too :wink:

we'll be in a purple seajay....

a question re the dojo - do you mean a dojo hybrid or a dojo skirt? Have a good range of the skirts from mr pakula that i'm itchin to swim hopefully without the macs rippin them apart! Dont hear about many billies being taken on lures up here - have you been having other successful trips with them?
If we all focussed on the important things in life there would always be a long queue at the ramp!
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey coutta hybrids mate, last year the fish where beating the hell out of them but not hooking up. After the 2nd trip i gave up on them n stuck to skipping gars. I know its only been 1 trip this year but all three fish where bigger than the pups we caught last year so im thinking this is the reason why the dojos worked, i spose ill have do another 20 or so trips to see if this theory works. I must point out all im using is mono as well :mrgreen: As for the mackies mate keep to the city n things will be fine the bigger macs tend to hang in closer like bowra, i lost 2 sets of daisy chains last year n they were rigged on 200lb multi strand wire + a mirored teaser at bowra. As strange as it sounds when we found fish there only seemed to be lots of small macs in tuna in the 200 to 400mm size bracket.