shady 13th Feb

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Yogi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

shady 13th Feb

Post by Yogi »

Well had arrange a Trip down to shady a few weeks ago as my General Manager and the Commercial Manager where going to be in Darwin. We decided to head down on Friday Afternoon and stay the night at point Stuart.
We arrived at point Stuart about 5.30pm checked in and decided to have a quick look at the Barrage at the water level and see with our own eyes as head very mixed reports.
We got to the Barrage at 6 pm and the water way just starting to push in with enough to just get out on. So watched a few boat come and go had a few beers and a sun shower came in and it was time to head back to Point Stuart for more beers and a feed.
It was the first time we had stayed at Point Stuart and I was left with a good impression and will be going back again. The meals where good and was everything we expected and the beer was cold. The rooms where clean and the AC was cold that cold you needed a extra blanket.
We got on the road a 6am am and when we got to the barrage there was several boats getting ready before us and within Minutes there were 5 others behind us. We got our self’s ready and the recon the night before help as the other had been waiting for the water to come up a little more so we made our move and with the boat in the water we were on our way headed down to the 3rd barrage to catch the incoming tide and see if we could pick up a few smaller Barra for our first timers from down south. We worked hard for little luck expect for a power tail so at least they caught one fish by 7.30am
So with this we decided to head down the mouth to see how it was, we got there and everyone was inside the mouth staying away from the crappy water out the front we trolled for an hour and decide to head back up the river and see what we could find, tried a few spots on the way including the s bends for nothing. So we went back to the 3rd barrage and once again didn’t get a hit.
We had some lunch and watched two good storms pass either side of us. In disbelief to how quite it was we decided to head up to the 2nd Barrage and hasn’t that change didn’t ever recognize it.
There are some major changes up there to the west of the right wall it has been Dug out and/or washed out for a good 25meters or so, that might have something to do with the water levels I would say. We flick some of the back eddies on the western side and picked up a couple of rats in the first few cast and thought this might be the start, anchored up and not another hit.
With this and the water still running out it was decided to make the run to the mouth again to catch the incoming. On the way down there was some run out but the colour change just didn’t look right. Got out the mouth and the storm had smooth the ugliness from the morning out to a milk pond. But there was a good storm passing through up the river. Within minute we saw a nice fish being caught by moonman’s girlfriend / Mrs Moonwomen and was in the 80’s and looked a good fish. Had a few more runs and on a run in Grant the commercial manager thought he had a snag and as we all wound in we then discovered there was a fish on the line so we netted and measured up and went 55.5cm so we had one southern with a fish and one still to go. We had a few more runs and Stuart then had a hit and it jumped and in the same process and eagle saw the fish and made a dive for it but in the process grabbed the 160 classic in nitro colour and made a run for it and spooled off about half the reel we cut the line and got on with the fishing. Next run and I had a big hit felt like a good fish and it made a leap for it and was called for a 70 cm fish it ran hard and was still green when we got it to the boat once in the boat it measured up at 68cm but was nice and fat and looked very healthy and couldn’t resist the Big B52 in the orange and gold colour.
There were several more fish caught around us and we decided to call it a day and see if there was enough water up the barrage and there was up until 200 meter short of the barrage where another boat was all ready waiting for the incoming tide. We pushed our way up and anchor for about 40min till there was enough water to get the boat on the trailer.
It was still a good day on the water and our southern friend got to see some wildlife and plenty of crocs so they had some entertainment even with the slow fishing.
One thing more you need to look at the tides now if you want to launch your boat there wasn’t enough water yesterday Saturday until around 6-6.30pm depending on the size of your boat, Just hope we have some more rain in the next few week otherwise it will be a long year down there.

Yogi

I Fish to get out of the house!!!
Yogi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Yogi »

photo 68cm, Low Tide
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yogi

cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Good on you Yogi, thanks for the report.

Nice to see where the water is sitting too.

Chris
erudebill
Seadog
Seadog

Post by erudebill »

Well done Yogi, atleast you are out and about having a go. I would not have thought you would need the anchor out when you were sitting high and dry at the barrage(ha ha). Another 2 weeks mate and we will be fishing and drinking hard on the Barrabotel for 4 days.
Fishing is a passion only fishermen understand.

erudebill

Piscateur
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piscateur »

Awesome report
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barraboss »

jeese il have to get my poop together and get a report out to FFF, some bl..dy good posts have gone up after the weekend, good stuff lads.
Christopher Allen Wilson
Yogi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Yogi »

Mr Wilson you might have to get to it and make me jelous again of you Heli fishing. :bow:
Yogi