Adelaide River X-mas

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Adelaide River X-mas

Post by grumpy »

With Christmas lunch over I said my good byes to Mum & Dad and headed out to Adelaide River with rain clouds building out in the east. It was now getting to desperate times for me to catch my December Barra as work and other commitments had kept me off the water this month. :bricks:

Got to the ramp about 1400 hours to find the carpark absolutely empty, this was going to be a good day I thought the whole river to myself. :applause:

Headed straight up to Goat Island on a near full tide to get the good goss from the man himself the river. You could see the river had been given a flush from the recent rains and there was some distinct colour changes at a few of the creek mouths. I was surprised to be met at the pontoon by Hotdog and his new love (let’s just call her furball). Kai said there had not been too many boats on the river but the serious fishos who had ventured out had managed to find the odd fish or two. He said the hot spot was Manton Creek so after a few beers with him that was going to be my first stop. :idea:

1600 hours saw me is some magic colour at the mouth Bald Hill creek as it was bucketing down and I wasn’t going to get to Manton without getting drenched. Stuck out a couple of live baits while I flicked a rubber around slowly bouncing it across the bottom. Didn’t take long and I had a magic powertail grab my rubber and fight like a demon all the way to the boat, boy they just don’t give in easy do they? :catch: Starting to feel a bit depressed after about 20 minutes of torrential down pour it started to ease and this was the sign the fish must have been waiting for as one of the live baits started to take a bit of a run. :shock: “Easy easy” I kept saying “let him take” after it had taken about 15/20 meters of line I struck and set the hook, out of the water came a nice Barra and three leaps later I had him at the side of the boat beaten. A nice 72cm December Barra, “YES I’m ON THE BOARD” and one for the esky. :mrgreen: I rebaited and chucked it back out into the line of the colour change and must of chucked it straight onto the nose of a fish as it hit the water and took off like a freight train taking about 20 meter of line before about 85/90 cm of Barra speared out of the water . It’s times like these you scream at the deckie get the net ready, no deckie sh….t, trying to fight the fish and get the net ready was a comedy caper so I ended up just concentrating on fighting the fish. Beaten and lying beside the boat I used the bogga grips to lip her and pull a nice 83cm aboard. A quick photo and off she swam to fight another day. :applause:

Happy with my afternoons work I pulled up stumps and headed back to see Kai before making the trek home a happy man. What a Christmas day, a game of golf in the morning, big lunch and top it of with an afternoon on the water and catching fish. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Grumpy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Good going there Grumpy,

a couple of barra AND a powertail... father Xmas must really have thought you were a good boy over the year gone by....

I have never fished the Adelaide, will have to give it a go sometime..

thanks for the info

Chris
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Well done Grumpy..you braved the elements and got two good fish. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Funny some places the fishing tends to turn off totally when it rains other places it can keep going. :-?
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Yes nice ish and it looks like you had to share it with no too many others, (love an empty boat ramp :wink: )
Regards Dick
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

Hi grumpy,

what live bait do you use in the adelaide at this time of year? I have tried tarpon but often have trouble finding them?

thanks

Jon
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

jonr a mixture is always good you can catch cheribin from the river most of the time but now most of the creeks around the place are running perch/tarpon are the favoured bait. If this all fails and you live in town go to Buff creek and get some mullet. :mrgreen:

Half the fun is catching the bait. :idea:

:bow: :bow:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Dave M
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave M »

Well done on the 09 challenge Grumpy :bow: A couple of nice fish to finish off with. I'm looking forward to hitting the Adelaide again over the next few months (starting this week for an early look) it's nice and close to home and can turn it on at times.
:cheers: Dave M
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Onya Grumpy couple of nice fish :mrgreen:
Fishing on Xmas day, there's a present worth getting 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Good Work Grumpy, That is a great pic of the car park.

Nice work on getting a fish every month, and a nice way to finish off the year, with agood one from your good old Adelaide River

DIngo :clap:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

noooiiiyce!! Well in Grumpy!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
meterclubwannabe
Seadog
Seadog

Post by meterclubwannabe »

Sounds like a great day Grumpy! :mrgreen:
Well doneon completing the challenge :bow:
:drinking1:
Cheers MCWB
------------------------
no longer a wannabe....indaclub 15 april 2009 and stoked!
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Congrats on a great finish to the year and the challenge. :drinking1: :applause: :mrgreen: