Unlucky Tim and Pilbara Brad's pilbara popping session

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unlucky Tim and Pilbara Brad's pilbara popping session

Post by PilbaraBrad »

I told Tim last week that if we got a fine weather window we would venture out for a popping session off dampier. Well alas the window came and we decided to take advantage. The reports of late were not the best, not a lot of fish had been raised nor landed but we headed out anyway. We beat the sun to our spot and began to work an area that has "gotten the monkey off the back" quite a few times in the past. Not today, we did raise a good sized fish but no hook up unfortunately. We moved on again and decided to fish some slightly deeper water, i hooked up almost straight away on a pesky spanyid, i managed to get the fish off without bringing it into the boat, Tim landed a nice sized shark mackeral, he first i have seen caught on popper, it was released.

me trying to get some sleep on the way out

Tims sharkie

Next we tried another area, the tide was quite low and the ground we were popping was very unforgiving. I threw a lure into a nice bit of cobalt water, on about the third bloop i stopped to scratch my armpit, then WHAACK!! I managed to stay connected to a solid fish, we boated it after driving into some deeper water. To my surprise the fish was 108.5cm fork length which we estimated to be around 28kg's, not a bad start.

28 kg G train

Tim was the next to hook up, again, and again, and again. Tim was having a run of very bad luck, unlike him i know. He did managed to stay connected to a couple of fish, around the 17 and 12kg marks respectivly. He raised more fish than either of us, and got bricked by a HORSE!!!! unfortunately resulting in a lost lure, again.....

Tim loaded up

unlucky Tim's number 1

Tims number 2

my second fish approx 20kg's, released

My second GT and tim getting a litle close

I landed one more GT of around 101cm fork or 20kg's, not a bad day. 4 in the boat, probably another 10 raised, 4 dropped including a HORSE, home by lunch time on a glass ocean. Awesome!

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

What can I say incredible pics and amazing fish :applause: :clap: . Having only caught smaller GT (no bigger then 60cm I can only imagine how much these buggers would pull. :shock:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

mate, again great story and pics!
I'll be up your way 1,2 & 3 sep for some fishin'. Let me know if you have some time off and wanna come out. The Gold Can needs to get it's feet wet again!
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Some great pics, love the one of the fish underwater. :clap:

Home by 1pm on glas, gotta love that :angel:

Dingo :mrgreen:
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Now thats my kind of fishing, I think a move might be in order!! Kinda makes Barra look boring...... Great colours on that shark mackie....
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Yeah..like they said!!!!!

But I'll add........"Get a load of the size of that popper you got the shark mackie on!!!.....*chuckle*....go big or go home you reckon?"

Great post!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PilbaraBrad »

Mud wrote:Yeah..like they said!!!!!

But I'll add........"Get a load of the size of that popper you got the shark mackie on!!!.....*chuckle*....go big or go home you reckon?"

Great post!
you want to see the big ones mate, these are only the 150g (unrigged ) ones, the I cups and the like are 225g unrigged

cant stuff around with the big g's mate, very powerfull
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Awesome shots and post as usual.

Cheers
noundz

Post by noundz »

It has become accustomed that if a post from "PilbaraBrad" is on the FFF it will be of top quality 8-) This is defiantly no exemption 8-) 8-)

Well done 8-) 8-) , great pics & report 8-) 8-) :mrgreen: