Daly exploits - early may

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
bandit

Daly exploits - early may

Post by bandit »

Had a corker of a trip down the daly earlier in the month. The only reason its taken so long to post is ive been waiting for some fotos off my fishing buddy which I havnt got yet so heres the post before the months out... Myself and me mate rawson headed down. My plan was to stay for 4 days fishing, old mate had commitments in town over the weekend so he drove home and the bandette join me for the remaining day. Salad fingers and co. joined us for a spot of drinking err fishing over the weekend as well. :catch: :drinking2:

The trip had been planned for monday, but we were chasing slappers not numbers so held off til the later in the week for the right tides.
The fishing was overall slow but that’s to be expected on bigger tides. However our persistence was rewarded with 90+cm fish every day. 8-)

Day one was a great start to the trip. bl..dy long day with only 2 fish on the board but beauties none the less. We ventured down further than the rest of the trip as there was still good clarity. All the usual haunts were infested with boats. Working our way back up the river came to a stretch that produces big barra year in year out only to find not another soul fishing it. Sure enough first pass im on. Long fight down deep, the fish hadn’t jump. After about 5 mins or so the fish was refusing to come up, I started thinking shark or powertail when 95cm of daly river beauty surfaced and was netted with skill. Awesome I say, start of may some quality points for the comp, rawson pass me the brag matt… errr. What brag matt? Where is it?... the next few mins of dialogue is abit hard core for fff but you can imagine… :banghead: I had a tape, but not a ridged tape like some people have been using, a soft bendy one.. That will have to do, ill see what the adjudicators think :lol: few pics and she was let go successfully. That was it for that spot and we moved on… Call it a day as the sun was fading… not far from the boat ramp we decided to have a quick pass as we still had a little light sure enough first pass of a spot I havnt fished in quite awhile kaboom! The water explodes with 90+cm of tail walking barra charging at the closest set of stumps. Rawson applied the breaks an after a few breath taking minutes I netted a 91cm. He was done some guiding in the past and put clients onto bigger fish however this was to be his new PB. Called it stumps and that was day 1 done and dusted. 8-)

Day 2 had abit more action. The tides were building and it was hotting up. Early morning we worked our way down picking up a few fish in the likely spots. I got an 88 early on, followed 85, we moved down further trolling some old haunts that produced last year for to no avail.

We ended up at the same spot as I got the 95 late arvo before. There was a nomad livebaiting on the snag I had pulled the fish off. We trolled past and asked them how they were going, few rats he says but bugger all.. Sure enough just like clock work the fish came on song! First pass yielding a 91. That was to much for the old guys who had been livebaiting there all day and hadn’t got a keeper! :lol: they left.. we proceeded to get a fish or hit a pass for nearly 2 hours, once again with noone in sight (a hint on where we were fishing, ill say we could almost smell the fumes of the 15 or so boats fishing the newly popular nofish rockbar! Little did they know we were spraying it just a few bends away!!! :lolpoint:

Image watching on with egar

With the second pass a double hookup with a 90 gracing the deck and the other burying the RMG deep in the structure. This continued for an hour or so by which point we were fairly well tanked and the fish, some of which I have no dout over a meter just proving to be to powerful in the close quarters snags we were fishing. We had upgraded leader on the day before yet stil wasn’t working. By which point we both were developing blisters on our thumbs! But anyways. This was some of the most painful fishing knowing I had no brag matt. Almost heart breaking. But I had made the call to bandette who was coming down the next day, I just had to cross my fingers that the big fish would stay on the chew and was quietly confident after getting 5 over 90 in two days and a few high 80’s!!! :mrgreen:

Smallest fish for trip around 60 :lol:

We arrive back at banyan boat ramp again with little light. I drove the boat on and trimmed it up. It had been another brilliant day with cold beers and good company when I heard a spitty sorta hissing sound, only to look down and see the hydraulic steering line and split! Bugger, oil everywhere. We arrive back at camp to find salad fingers and crew setting up camp. We put our heads together and got to work on fixing the problem. I always have all the tools you’d need but of corse no spares for the hydraulics! We were carefully took it apart and put it back together cutting off the spit section! Now for the next problem! No fluid! :lol: cords crew had offered me some oil earlier so I made my way over to the camp but by which point they were asleep as it was pretty late. Bugger, sure enough ran into one of dads mate whose an x mechanic. Few beers later we leave with some automatic transmission fluid which I was assured would be fine and do no damage. Only to be greeted by salad fingers scratching his head wondering why it takes 1.5hours to find some fluid :lol: anyway we bled her out and she was right to go in the morning! (only to talk to Wally the next day to find out he had a some proper fluid, oh well this will be fine).

The bush mechanics hard at it

Next day we hit the water abit later than planned :lol: it was a bl..dy long day for not many fish. Rawson had gone home and I was fishing with the bandette and a brag matt (well I thought! Unlucky bl..dy things).. We tried the spots from the previous 2 days for jack. So we joined the trolling party at nofish. We had fished it for 3 days, incoming, outgoing, top of tide, bottom of tide for nothing. So I wasn’t expecting much. When double haul got a nice fish. Of corse we were using the wrong lures after loosing to many the previous days! Luckily for me the poor bugger had run out of beer! They offered money but I wasn’t interested! I wanted his lure :lol: fair trade and it paid off. I think it was the next pass when I got slammed. Pressure was on! I had double haul, Dutto, salad fingers and all there crew feeding it to me, not to mention kane from fisheries and flim crew watching on! :lolpoint:

The fish jumped early on right out the back at which time I called it for a 70 odd, but then went deep for the rest of the fight, when it finally surfaced after a healthy fight I knew this fish was over 90, only to see one hook of the back treble through its nose. Double haul is yelling out make it jump with his camera out and so where the film crew but I thought if be lucky to get it in as it was. Bandette netted the fish wonderfully at which point it threw the lure! Phew. ‘Grab the brag matt babe!’ ‘Err, didn’t you get it out of the car!’ arrrrgh… :banghead: At this point the film crew was along side and had one… PHEW! Quick pic she came in at 94cm thanks a million guys! :mrgreen: The fish was the filmed being released! You beauttty! :lol:

The last day was even slower! Nothing til the dieing moments. We had made the call between the 2 boats to call it a trip and head home. Not far from the ramp, even further up than where rawson got his 91 I suggested we have a last pass.. The girls wernt happy about it but it was worth a shot… I wound my line in after an unsuccessful pass bout to call it quits only to turn around and see sean in salads boat onto a good fish. They ended up boating a healthy 87cm you ripper. A few more passes and a few more fish. Bandtte got a nice 85 and a 60, saved by the day or she would of killed me! :bonk:

An awesome trip to some it up and I had good points on the board for may. I knew next week would be the classic then bass in the grass so that was me only chance at getting some solid fish. I havnt included all the pics of the bigger girls as im doing a seasonal daly Colum and need to keep some exclusive, including the 94 and 95 (and bandettes bigger fish). These fish will be in the next NTMAG for those who have any doubts ! Cheers.. :drinking1:

Was great to meet another FFFer double haul and share stories and a few beers in the evening too! :drinking1:

The rest of may was spent with a few half days chasing queenies in the harbour with a few nice catches! We kept one for numus! Beautiful! At the time! But that’s another story :lol:

Cheers, The Bandit!
:drinking1: :drinking1: :drinking1:

harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

what a cracker of a session mate :bow:

gotta love the daly :mrgreen:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Fantastic Bandit!

Lots of great fish and a great read to boot. Thanks for the post and the pics!!

Mud
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Nice kick off to the lead up of the seeker and bandit 2009 june daly river jam :grin: ,
No doubt u got that place down pat mate, looks like the 90's were quick to beat the meteries to your lures. Should of just necked them so the next set of tides....METERIES!!!!! :lolpoint: ...somebody give this man a spot in the classic or nationals.....to scared i think :lol: .

Well done Lee, you da man :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Image Image
double haul

Post by double haul »

You bastard i told you not to tell anyone i was out of beer. :rofl:
Nice read as all ways country. :mrgreen:
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Well what can I add, awesome trip!

Big thanks to Lee for giving me a guided tour of the Daly.
We managed to avoid MOST obstacles in the river.. hehe.
Got off to a bit of a rocky start when we saw Lee roll in with a busted hydraulic line.

Lean pickings for the most part, but what quality fish when you got them.
My deckie Sean was stoked with his PB of 87cm!
I only managed rats all but one while flicking the banks but it was still an absolute blast.
When the Bandit says we had a late start on Saturday he's not kidding, maybe a couple too many on friday night.

Was good to meet Double Haul aswell!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan2874
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dan2874 »

great report :applause:
great fish :applause:

i can't wait till i get up their next :cry:

:cheers: Daniel
Daniel

Ilive to fish!

The 1 that got away
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Great read , ripper of a trip. Don.t see too many dogs out on the boats up there. Guess your dog has to be aware of the danger mine loves seals and wants to jump in and play with them, they seem to like her too. She like sharks as well come to think of it, gave one a good licking the other day. What lures did you find worked best if its not a sensitive question.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Good going Bloke,

Its always good to hear someone doing well and seeing the good pics too.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

great read CB, sounds as though you had to work pretty hard for em but theres some nice fish there.
Hawkeye
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hawkeye »

Legend :mrgreen: :clap: :clap:
:cheers: :cheers:
Tom a (hawk...eye)

Fishin again...... lookin for a meterey......
skylion9
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skylion9 »

they are some fat silver barra, you don't mind if the numbers arn't big when your catching 90+ fish. I wish the daly was a bit closer as i'd love too put some hours in down there, but its too far for a day trip.
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Top Effort and Awesome Report mate! Looks like a lot more quality fish than most were getting down that way. Too bad you weren't scoring points for one of the comps down there as you'd be right in amoungst it! :clap:

Cheers
Moonman!
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Bandit, ANother quality monthly update on your exploits. No suprises on the number of quality fish coming out of your boat, YOU ARE A VERY CLEVER and COMMITED MAN.

Great stuff, keep on posting them up, it is a great read.

Dingo :grin:
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Good read, great pics as always CB :clap: :clap:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous