Chambers bay - On fire!!!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

Chambers bay - On fire!!!

Post by ntfishn »

It was time for Bigglen and I to do our annual Chambers bay run... All looked good for a clear and windless Sunday on the water.... After leaving home at 5 we arrived at Shady camp at around 7.am. The water on the barrage is almost at the filleting table... No sign of any monster croc - thank god!! :mrgreen:
We made our way on a nice calm ocean and V - lined it straight for Carmor Creek... Shady mouth was dirty and there was an obvious lack of bait or any other fishy action...
We arrived to a beaut looking colour change which lead us into Carmor on a building tide...
I have heard that this little creek doesn't fish well till later in the year when the bait has had time to build-up... But this little creek was swarming with mullet of all different sizes.. There were great masses of bait moving up and down the creek :cheers:
First 3 casts produced a nice silver model of 83cm... This set the mood for about 5 hours of some very hot fishing action... Whether it was on hard body or soft plastics it didn't seem to matter... They were hungry and were hitting hard... Mostly at the side of the boat however which scared the bejesus out of us every time...
Most fish were legal size and silver in colour... Bigglen got onto something big at the mouth which stayed deep and we didn't get to see it (probably a good thing).. He had it on for about 10 minutes before pulling the hooks... He then hooked his PB of 76.5cm (beat his previous by .5cm), before then dropping a nice fish of an easy 85cm at the side of the boat..
After about 20 or 30 nice fish landed and many more dropped the time came to make a silly decision and head back to Sampan for a troll before heading out to the Jew reef for the night... :banghead: :banghead:
Sampan was still like mud... so we headed out to the reef which served us so well last year :angel:
We met with 3 other boats who had the same idea.. we saw a couple of Jew caught before the swing of the tide... But that was it - Nothing :bonk:
It was then that the wind decided to rear it's ugly head so another decison was made to head to the mouth of Tommy cut - Not an easy task without a chart plotter and on the darkest night known to man kind!!!
We finally made our way into the mouth and set-up camp for the night - The rain stayed away all night and the thermocells worked well keeping the mozzies well away...
It was quite interesting to see that the Pro netters were hard at work just around from the mouth of Tommy cut at 9:00pm in the dark... Funny that!!!! :evil:
After a good nights sleep we gave the mouth a bash for zip... Had a couple of half efforts on a popper but that was it...
We made our way back to the Shady camp barrages through the short cut... Definately the tightest I have ever seen it and very difficult to fit through... The whole system has treed up so much over the last 5 years or so...
We flicked our arms off at the barrages for 1 brown 68cm fish a few rats and a few tarpon ...It was starting to come in wet and with the lack of action and the wish that we had enough fuel to get back to Carmor we headed for home...
The track wasn't too bad on the way back if you take it easy... just a few holes here and there to keep you busy...
All in all it was quite a good trip even though the second day was a non event!!!
The lures of choice were the B52 and white Soft plastics worked slowly along the bottom....
Happy fishing!!!
:mrgreen:
Cheers
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ntfishn on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

:mrgreen: :cheers: :drinking2: :mrgreen: :cheers: :drinking2: :mrgreen: :drinking2: :catch:
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Great report, with some very good quality fish. 8-) 8-) Great Stuff.

Dingo :mrgreen:
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Top report mate, good to see someone is getting on to a few out that way. :mrgreen: :drinking1:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Top report and photo's guys :catch: :catch: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
Barralistic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Barralistic »

Awsome pics guys good to see some fish being caught extremely jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It has to be in the boat to count!
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

Good to see you got in before the pros do
Cheza
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Well done timbo....I was going to ring ya today to see if you had been out too :roll: top stuff :bow: :bow:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

#1 Rule.... Don't leave fish to find fish,,,,
But at last you got a few, it would've been nice to see how you would've went if you stayed put, and fished through the tides, you are always going to have slow periods but you are there for the action when it's on ,,, not somewhere else wishing you were back there
lesson's learn't tho
Top Post
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by John Whitegoods »

great post mate
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Well done and great post, I was wondering if it was worth the trip.

Good on you for taking the punt on the early trip.
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Nice Work Tim. Can't believe i missed out on that trip :banghead: :banghead: Our so called fantastic plans ended up falling over so i eneded up at shoal bay :banghead: :banghead: Oh well maybe another time :grin: Looks like you guys had an awesome time :cheers:
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

no metrey yet tim :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

get the place to yourself and still no luck :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bet you are still having nightmares about all those horses you dropped at the south 2 years ago....with the baby due soon, that trip to Carmor was your last chance :fu: :fu:

the wife might let you have a fish in the harbour in 5 or 6 years time eh :-?

i am a nice bastard aint i??
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Sacky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sacky »

That first fish is a ripper.

Did a trip out to Shady on Sunday but only managed to get a few rats. Nice to see someone getting stuck into them out that way.
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

awsome story tim and great photos :mrgreen:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing