Daly 07/02/09 - No Good!!!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
DalyDude
Silver Member
Silver Member

Daly 07/02/09 - No Good!!!

Post by DalyDude »

Went for a fish today down the Daly - should have stayed in bed.

Checked the radar before I went, and it looked bad from Kalumburu all the over near Channel Point. Considering we were planning to go to Clear Creek, this was not a good sign. Rang the buddies, to late already on their way, although it wasn't raining near the crossing as such.

Headed down about 8.45 am and from about No Fish, bang came the rain. Torential Monsoon rain. Even the faithfull Elizabeth Creek wasn't going to help us today as it was running back up stream. Absolutely no colour change there. Went for a ride up it but a few hundred metres past the junction were some fresh trees down blocking it.

We went as far as Hidden Creek. There was good colour change, a lot of bait but after 30-45 minutes still no barra action. We mucked around for a little while, but the highlight of the day was honestly when the canopy was put up. We had a report of someone fishing clear the day / night before without a touch so we were never going to go that far with the weather looking twice as bad every km we went down stream. In my time here in the Daly it is by far the least satisfying day on the water I have had, although wet big time still good to get out of the house. Browns Creek camping area is completely under water. Big doubts of any future access there after this year. Went for a ride upstream Browns, got to the usual tree blockage and a bad sign for Clean up Australia day. Fridges, Petrol Barraels, everything you name it. Even an old tinnie that has been washed up there. Some people down here have a lot to answer for in regards to managing their own cr.p away from the waterways.

In short most of the creeks are running the wrong way. I personally would head up to Darwin to catch Barra before trying here within the next few days. The culvert between the Primary School and Banyan Farm is reported around 0.4 m so it is another factor to content with rising waters. You bank on around 1cm an hour over next couple of days before it peaks down here, and that's without further falls, although the Edith was showing 102 mm overnight.

That's all folks.

Dalydude.

Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Good of you to update every one. Might save a few fuel bills. :drinking1:
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Thanks for the post mate,
earlier in the week I was planning to head down there on sun 8-) , but after the rain on Friday :-? , I thought we were better off at home. thanks for letting us know our suspicions were correct. :drinking1:
The harbour it is for us tomorrow. Personally I hope the rain continues, the wet has been pretty dismal so far, though I really my need my first Feb Harbour Barra. :P My only shot is tomorrow and thanks for confirming our suspicions about the rain and river levels.

Doors Off :drinking1:
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

repeat post, sorry :roll:
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
adam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by adam »

Great report mate pity about the fish ( or lack of). Will postpone my trip, was going to go on Monday / Tuesday.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Not good Dude, stil you know the old saying....a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work :banghead:

went down a way y'day looking for pigs........zilch! :hunting:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
fly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fly »

Thanks 4 the report . Can t wait for the level 2 fall
my son first legal daly barra
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Barra

Post by fishfanatic »

Wow Fly, nice fish. I bet the young fella was stoked :applause: :applause: ..that size barra would get any of us excited... 8-) 8-)
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

What a ripper fish, whats the young fellas name I bet he was crowing about that one for a while.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Congratulations young fella. :bow:

that is a bueatifull fish. Got any pictures of it on a brag mat or somthing, so you could enter it into the Febuary competition. you would be in with a great chance of winning. :catch:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
fly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fly »

Liam caught it last year in the Barra classic jr comp. It was about 88cm if I remember and i was a very proud father
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Nice fish Liam, that must have been the biggest for the junior comp.

Pity this report was not a couple of hours earlier. I went down with a mate Sat arvo. we launched about 3.30 pm on Sat & blasted down to Palmerston Is via clear creek on the high tide. We got one at 59 there but it was very quite so we motored straight down to the Palmerston Is.
I was hoping that the westerly would die off at dark but it was not to be. The creeks down there look good but the wind blows straight into them & it was to rough to fish. There was no bait moving about & no boofing either.
After dark we moved back upstream to Salmon creek & settled in for a while. Cooked up a bite to eat & chucked all manner of lures about for 3 hours. The results where one @62 & a one good fish lost and a couple of other strikes, all action was on fizzers.
After no action for an hour & no bait either we decided to go to Clear Creek for the bottom & first making tide. We probibly should of stayed where we where cause Clear was totally dead although the mossies where a lot thinner up there.
With a big storm brewing at about 3.30 am down stream we decided to go home. The moon was getting low in the sky & only a hand held spotlight & plenty of nasties in the river resulted in a slow run back upriver.
We had the boat back on the trailer at about 5.30, breakfast at Adalaide River & into bed by 9am to catch up on a bit of shuteye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Nice Fish and good story, Buchineer2,
Where abouts did you put your boat in at the daly on saturday with the river that high? , The bom and nt road road site say the road is closed to the crossing and to wooliana.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
bandit

Post by bandit »

Good stuff bucaneer :clap:
shame about the slow fishing tho. bl..dy long way down stream when it dosnt come up trumps. Either way, cheers for posting.
I think i know where you woulda launched. Helps to have friends down there hey! Nice knowing your car is safe when your down the river on an over night thats for sure :drinking1:

cheers :mrgreen:
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Yes you are right CB it is good. I have known Kerry & Wally since before you where born Lee.

We launched at the Banyan Farm. The road was still open but the causeway was running at about 400mm. Banyan farm ramp was almost flooded with the water right up to the road.
The park is closed to the public at the moment. Im not sure about the road now though. :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.