Golden snapper on a jig

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.

I jig for bottom fish ....

Often
40%
Sometimes
46%
Never
15%

Total votes: 48

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Golden snapper on a jig

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fishing and Outdoor World's Matt West caught this lunker golden snapper (fingermark) on a light jigging outfit and a Snapback soft plastic, fishing with Equinox Fishing Charters.

Matt told me: "I jig all the time now when I am reef fishing, I hardly ever use bait. Jigging is more fun and you catch quality fish."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..............I agree about that''''''''''nice snapper :clap: :fishy:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

It happens :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Dick
Backlash
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Backlash »

Nice fish.........think I might have to give that a try.

Cheers

Lash
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Does anyone jig inside Darwin Harbour?? :???: I tried jigging on a charter out of Broome and it was a lot of fun!! Plenty of fish and no smelly bait but ive never heard of it being done in close, 4.5m seajay wouldnt be very comfortable at the south gutter :banghead: :banghead: :bonk:
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

just gotta pick ya days chronic :mrgreen: i used to go to fenton although not as far in a 435 hornet tropghy trip home was interesting when the weather went sour though. you could always try to take dodgys title from him. :lol: :lol: flat top in a open 5m tinny :shock: :shock:

Pagey
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Im not worried about weather but when it turns into a 5 hour trip home slow as you like soaked to the bone its not all that much fun anymore. I got 'piggy-backed' home by 'tere tiki' one nasty afternoon from fenton after a good days fishin. Big swell for a tinnie...
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

What rubbers/lures work best for bluewater jigging. Anyone got any favourites.
Cheza
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

silstar jig'ems just watch out cause turtles dig'em :rofl: :rofl: have a mate that caught and landed a rather large turtle on one. rest a sured he was safely released after an hour and a hour wrest

Pageyle.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

a good friend of mine used to make the noggy jigs and they worked a treat for just about everything :catch: , he has since passed away so no longer many around :(
used to jig off channel island bridge a lot and catch a few snapper amongst other species :grin:

BEAR
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..............................marabou jigs work well on goldies i even use them in the creek's for goldies when the go quiet on hard bodies :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: ................................................................................... :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: ..................................................................................... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) ................................................................................... :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:
mixflix
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mixflix »

Have tried soft plastics for snapper in the harbour without success. Always seem to have trouble getting them to stay in the strike zone :banghead: . Also don't really know what action to use when jigging. :???: Had a hot bite in one of the arms last week so tried a small shad. Fish were bitng continuousley on bait but didn't seem interested in the artificial. Any advise would be welcome.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..............jigging is usually done by lifting and dropping a lure or lure's vertically below the boat
..............as for increasing your success persistance is the only cure for success

:fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing:

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy:
.................................................................................................................................... :sailing:
............................................................................................................................................................. :sailing:
RNR
Seadog
Seadog

Post by RNR »

ive caught goldies on shad soft plastics and knife jigs at fenton
and ive caught them at west alligator and jew to 45lb
BarraBase
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBase »

mixflix your on the right track, try heaver jigs bounce them one cast then a slow wind the next till you find how they like it .give me a call if you need help and i will try to talk you on to one .. :fishing: i could put what i have caught to but you need a how not a look at me.. :banghead:
Views expressed on this website are those of individuals and do not reflect the opinions of the website owner, or its operators, or other website users