ANZAC Metrey

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

ANZAC Metrey

Post by doors off »

I had my best mate come up from down south last Thursday and we booked into Luke’s Barra Botel for 2 nights on the 23/24th April (what a top facility). We headed down Fri Morning to Shady and were on the water about 1pm. We picked up a 59cm Baz within about 5mins of starting fishing, so with a run on the board we continued down to the mouth. I stopped again at another spot that goes ok and got him to let his lure out the back again. A bit of bait around, nice gentle back eddy, boat into gear, reel into gear a couple of jigs and he was hooked up to a pretty good fish, it fought really well and he did a good job in landing his first Barra ever, it went 85cm and was caught on a Dark Green Back Flouro Classic 160+3. :catch: I was chuffed to see him catch a great fish and it took the pressure of the trip in the first 30min, yip yah. 8-)

We stopped in to see Luke at the Barra Botel and pay him for our stay. He gave a bit of news on how the fishing was going and we headed down to the mouth of Sampan. We got stuck into some more of our tinnies :drinking1: and did some trolling and casting. Plenty of Salmon about and caught our fair share on Classics and Bombers both trolling and casting. Back to the Botel for a shower, grub and some more cans, a couple of bottles of wine and a touch of port. What a great end to a great day. :drinking2: :drinking3: :drinking1:

The next day we fished both Sampan and headed across to Tommycut as well. We caught some decent Threadies over at Tommy and some good blues late in the day at the mouth of Sampan. We were catching plenty of fish and having a fat time. That night we had a good feed of fish and a few more bevies on the Botel and a good chat with Luke the owner.

:cry: :bow: ANZAC day saw us up and about with a bit of Qld fighting juice to start the day and out to the mouth of Sampan. We picked up a couple of Blue Salmon and the boat traffic was pretty high so we made the call early to head across to Tommy. There was only a couple of boats and plenty of bait around. We trolled around for some more good Threadies, cooked up a storm of Salami and fresh fish for lunch on the camp stove, :chef1: a few more rums and a few laughs.

The rains came in and boats started to disappear so we hung around for a bit. The rain got a bit heavier and we headed back to Sampan. The boats were a lot fewer, the tide was coming in and plenty of Threadies around so we decided to stick it out for a chance at a big Barra. We caught some more Threadies and Blues and then I hooked something pretty big. It felt bl..dy heavy and at first I thought it was a snag, then a couple of little headshakes, I made the call –“I don’t think it is that big mate” – then it started fight, “poop mate, it is big” then the big girl gave us a big jump – “yippee- she is a monster”. She fought beautifully and it was pouring down with rain, though the rum was keeping me warm. :drinking2: My mate did a great job on the net and I could not wait to get her on the mat. 102cm of Beautiful Barra and my biggest ever and biggest in 11 years (previous was 99cm from the Harbour). :mrgreen:

A big beautiful heavy set fish and I was shaking heaps when I took the photo of her on the mat. I caught her on a Classic 160 +3 in Bleeding Mullet Dazzler. We fished some more, went and said G’day and thanks to Luke at the Botel and headed upstream.

We caught up with Moonman and had a quick chat then did a bit more fishing on the way to the ramp for one more Baz at 74cm and 3 dropped in quick succession. What a top trip. 8-)

We put the boat on the trailer and then headed for the South, but on getting to the Arnhem she started to pour down, and it was still pouring after we crossed the West and no sign of clearing we made the call to return to Darwin. (We will get the South next year when he comes back up). Over the nex :uhh: t few days I took him out to Saltwater to get a feed of Muddies and to the Adelaide for some more Barra. We had a top trip and he went home a Happy Farmer and plenty of photos for him show to his customers down in Dubbo at Sprayerbarn.

Doors Off :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Well done DO on ya first metery :mrgreen: and a good session by bthe sounds :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

great stuff Dean....and well deserved too :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Niglet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Niglet »

Exelent story there Doors off :clap: great photos Congrats on the first metery :bow: first of many more to come :drinking1:
DNO62
Seadog
Seadog

Post by DNO62 »

Well done Doors Off, of all the fishos that I know none of them are more passionate and enthusiastic than yourself. For you to finally join the Meter Club after all this time and effort brings joy to my ears, eyes and heart.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of Doors Off's company on and off the water, especially on the water, this bloke truly epitomizes what the sport of fishing is all about.

Big rap, hell yes....
A meter plus fish well deserved, without a doubt....

Well done mate. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Doors Off for PM !!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-)
uniball
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by uniball »

well done dude, i'm sure you'll still be smiling next time i see you.

a big hats off to doors off :applause:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Well in DO

Way happy for you!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Congrats Doors Off, great fish. :clap:

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Congats on a great fish. :applause: :applause: :drinking1:
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Great work congrats on the metery sounds like a great weekend.
Billy
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Well done DO the pressure is off :mrgreen:
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Thanks for all of the encouragement and replies fellas. It is a good feeling that is for sure.

I sure know that there are plenty of top, top Barra fishermen yet to 'get lucky' like I did and I know how lucky I am. It has been worth the wait.
Once again thanks and I look forward to catching up on the water and hopefully at the next lot of FFF Barra Comp drinks :drinking1:

Doors Off :drinking1:
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
gammo42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by gammo42 »

Great story and thanks for the pics. It is always good to hear of successful trips when mates come to visit.

Well done!!!
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cheers: Well Done DO.
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Congratulation Door Off!
:applause: :clap: :applause:

What a cracker of a fish!

Must have pulled like mad!
:shock:

Have a good day,
Pecheur