A visit from the fishing fairy

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

A visit from the fishing fairy

Post by Ernie »

Have been pretty slack of late with my posts so I'll try to fill the gaps :mrgreen:
Hit the Finniss salt with Melv and John mid March for a look (1st time there) had a bit of a look around and headed up top spying for a vacant runoff which we eventually found with good water and a big dead tree / snag at the mouth and with the tide peaking it looked the goods :catch:
Started flicking and it wasn't long before we ( I :rofl: :rofl: ) got a sniff and the first was in the boat and it was on with multiple fish hitting your lure on the way in with double hook ups regularly :catch: But there was a problem I was the only one actually boating fish :rofl: :fu: :rofl: :fu: :rofl: Melv and John couldn't stay connected
To quote Melv I'd been kissed on the D#*K by the fishing fairy 8-) 8-)
The abuse and threats only got worse as the morning wore on,can you swim?, like walking? or offering a decky with a free carton to anyone willing to take me :rofl:
With another boat along side, think I out fished 4 blokes :angel: :angel: just one of them days :rofl: didn't matter what lure or were I chucked it
I just couldn't do wrong :rofl: :fu: :rofl: Don't know if sitting back having a boubon or 2 and a few nibbles, and coaching helped my chances of making it back to Dundee , but you gotta take it while it's there ( and had to give em a fighting chance) :rofl: :rofl:
If anyone want's a decky good with the net and camera Melv's your man :rofl: :rofl:
The fish slowed and shrunk as the tide dropped, so we scooted of the have a look back towards the mouth and do a bit of trawling around the rockbar hopefully to get a silver slapper for the esky.
Picked the most dogiest lariest lure in my box (with a barrage of heckles from the others) out she went.
Not long after BANG I'm on :rofl: :rofl: after a fair old tussle and the automatic net / camera boy doing his thing, another fat baz hit the deck 8-) 8-)
Another couple of runs over the same area seen me hook up again & again, but I joined the club and dropped em all :banghead:
But had an absolute ball, nice country, icy bourbon and good company (at first anyway :rofl: :rofl: ) heaps of fish and fun.
All the fish were fat barrels and gave a fair account of themselves especially if they got you in the current :catch: only a coupel of rats with most in the 65-75 cm range and the biggest @ 78cm
Tucked in behind Geof Corey on the way home, as it was pretty sloppy and had a fair old yak to him and Backcast at the ramp :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Melv's heading back out over the week end so hopefully he'll get the gobby from hell from the fishing fairy :catch: :catch: :catch: this time around :drinking1: :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ernie on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great post, made me laugh. :grin:

Would love to try the saltwater Finniss this time of year.

well done :mrgreen:

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Top post ernie and gave me a good afternoon giggle to boot!! good fishing!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
double haul

Post by double haul »

Sweet how can i book the deckie form heaven i need a camera man something shocking, does he charge buy the hour or day rate. :lol:
O and nice report too. :mrgreen:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Thanks Ernie,

You gave me a good laugh there.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

great report ernie,had a good laugh and know that creek well we had 2 nights camped opposite it.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Top stuff Ernie, like you said you've gota take it while your on. :wink:

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
noundz

Post by noundz »

Good stuff :mrgreen:
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Well, pleased to say the fishing fairy came good with a nice sloppy one for the second trip and I was happy to finally shake the tag of net/camera boy.............Cheers Ernie :fu: Headed down to Dundee Thursday night with a couple of mates, Ray and Mick, and we got into the Easter spirit in a fairly enthusiastic way so it was a pretty seedy crew that managed to be first in line to be dumped into the washing machine on Friday morning :surf: The first 10k or so was pretty ordinary to say the least but things calmed off as we got closer to the Finniss and once inside the mouth the world all of a sudden became a better place.

After a quick scout around the mouth we made the call to head up and find a likely looking creek mouth to flick over the top of the tide. We must have picked the right one because from the first cast it was on :catch: the first fish boated was a 55cm rat which turned out to be a bit of a loner as we proceeded to land well over 20 fish, the smallest @ 70cm with Micks 84cm being the pick of the bunch. Fit and fiesty, they were thick shouldered animals that all gave us a solid run in the tight, snaggy terrain, cartwheeling and charging across the surface to the woops and hollers of all on board 8-)

For some reason the action slowed as the tide turned and the tannin water started to push out of the creek. We thought it might get even better as the tide fell and a nice colour change formed at the mouth but things slowed considerably so it was off to explore some more. I picked up a nice 81cm chrome fish flicking a little gutter so we slipped that one in the esky then headed to the mouth to try and rustle up some livies with the intention of kicking back for a more casual afternoon session. Managed to snag a few mullet at the mouth just before it rained then headed upstream with the rain following us all the way.

We soaked a few livies and trolled a couple of rock bars with only a few dropped fish for our efforts so it was back up to the creek of the mornings chaos to settle in for the late afternoon run in. Anticipation was high for a repeat of the mornings madness and while we managed to land another 10 or so nice fish it was nothing like the early session.

We camped up for the night at the mouth and rose early ready to do battle with the hoards of Barra that no doubt would be jumping all over our lures just like yesterday.......... :bs: Managed to land a few but nothing like we had hoped. Guess that's Barra fishing................

Managed to troll up a few more nice fish at various locations as we made our way back towards the mouth and finished with a tally just shy of 40 fish for the trip with all of us sharing in the spoils. The ride back to Dundee was another nut cracker and we were all pleased to get back on terra firma after a pretty schmick retrieval in ordinary conditions at the ramp. It was a cracker trip with some good mates and one we all intened to do again soon.

Sorry bout the lack of piccies but my camera died on a recent trip to Whaylla (still waiting for some pics of that trip from a mate - especially the 1kg KG whiting I landed - a horse!!)
Will post some pics of this trip next week when I get some off Micks camera.

:cheers:
Melv
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Here's some pics...............finally

:cheers:
Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.