Sampan Quicky

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Sampan Quicky

Post by Bullet »

Shot out to Shady early yesterday morn to catch the low at the mouth of Sampan for a shot at a slaper. Had my good neighbour Glenda with me to try put her onto her first legal baz. :fishing:

Got to the ramp at 6.40am :sleep: and as I predicted the water level was scary low as the tide was on its way out. Luckily the Hornet need bugger all water to float so we just drifted down with the flow until we found some depth. :wink: You could see peoples skeg marks making a pattern of lines across the exposed mud bars. :captain:

Headed straight to the mouth and began trolling but it was a slow start and we got hit by a passing storm for our troubles :bonk: but I'm not complaining about the rain. The first fish was not boated till well after the turn of the low. It was on my rod, and at 67cm with a bright yellow tail, he was destined for the dinner plate :chef2:

A short time later we switched sides of the creek and as I swung in to start run, the sounder lit up with arches. :fishy: 20 meters later I was on again, this time to a better fish. After a solid fight 80cm of chrome hit the deck 8-) We didn't muck about as I thought they will only be on for a short while so back into it to try get Glenda onto one.

The next troll my lure was smashed again but it stayed deep so i called it for a powertail, but as it got to the boat a barra showed itself. A nice net shot from Glenda and a 76cm baz was landed, a quick pic, then into the esky for her to take home.

We persisted with this spot for a while but could only manage a small queeny. The arches on the sounder had dwindled and we had to be off the water early so we shot up to the barrages for a quick look but no joy. The lure that did all the damage was a classic 120 +3 in yellow bling I suppose you'd call it, have a look at it with the queeny pic, it stood out like dogs balls in the tannin water.

There was plenty of water to pull out at 1.30pm with the tide still rising. I was surprised to see only half a dozen trailers in the car park but I suppose with the lack of water it is hard to get the boats in and out. The over cast conditions and looming storms did look promising for some rain out that way which is much needed.

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
smoking reels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smoking reels »

Nice report bullet! Some good fish! :mrgreen:
Grant Gibbons
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Grant Gibbons »

Great stuff, nice silvery,s, bring on the rain
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Top stuff Bullet! Good report...Glendas turn next time!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ntfishn »

Beaut looking fish and top report mate... Let hope it starts pumping again out there after this down pour!! :mrgreen:
adam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by adam »

Nice fish bullet, that lure is a funky colour, ive not seen it before. Is it from got one??? We will have to organise a trip with two boats and Glenda and try to get her, her first legal barra. :cheers:
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Yer adam new colour from gotone :mrgreen:
I went back to get one in a 160 but Craig hasn't had them painted up yet :banghead:

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Some nice Fish :fish:

Good on ya bullet :grin:
Mclaren
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mclaren »

Some top looking fish, I've been reading with interest the comments regarding the accuracy of the tide times for the Shady barrarge, just how far out is 'Willy Weather' with their tide predictions. You've got a virginal mexican hitting Shady for 4 day from next Sunday week, going out with three other newbys and don't want ot get into trouble with the river levels. Any comments or tips to help us on the way?
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Good going there Bullet noice fish

Chris

Mclaren

PM Sent
shadymad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

shady camp