Tommycut Horse

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
lincoln
Seadog
Seadog

Tommycut Horse

Post by lincoln »

Organised for a mission down to shady camp with the Bandit last week and expectations were pretty high after reading all his great posts on here and he didn’t let us down. Headed through the cutting for the first time and it could have been the last if the water was any lower! It was defiantly a good call tho and I couldn’t believe it when there wasn’t another boat to be seen when we got down there. Conditions looked absolutely prime and my decky Joel and I were itching to get our lines in. It didn’t take to long and on our third or so pass I had a nice hit on my barra classic. After a couple of good jumps we had a nice silver 64cm baz on the deck and I was on the board for Feb.
After this the pressure was off and the first of many beers were cracked for the day. Not long after we were trolling down stream out from the mouth of Tommy cut when both our rods got hit pretty much at the same time! As I was trying to back the boat up and get out to the middle my line went slack as the fish dropped the lure but Joel’s line was peeling of at a great rate. The fish hadn’t jumped yet so I wasn’t to sure what it was but it obviously had some size to it by the looks of the bend in Joel’s rod. Talking about Joel’s Rod this was the first fish he had hooked on it as we had just bought this combo a couple of days ago for the trip. Once the boat was out in the middle and in safe water I picked up the camera and started filming. About 5 minutes later a beautiful big Barra made its first appearance by coming out of the water shaking its head trying to dislodge the lure, a Elton john 160 +3 classic, and things got pretty exciting on board! As the barra got closer I had to put the camera down and grab the net so I missed the last of the capture on film but managed to somehow fit the fish into the net and pulled her on board. Yeh hah there was high fives all round and heaps of back slapping as we looked down at this massive fish. ImageJoel put his rod down to grab the brag mat and as he did the fish did a massive jump in the boat and landed on his new rod breaking it! We were both so stoked that we just had a good laugh and went oh well. The brag mat measured 115cm and it blew Joel’s previous PB of 80 cm out of the water and he was in the meter club! We called the Bandit over for a look and took a few quick photos so we could get her back in the water as quick as possible.
It didn’t take long for the fish to start biting down hard as I held it in the water and she swam away strongly hopefully for someone else to enjoy catching in the future.
This was a great start to what is probably the best fishin mission I’ve had up here so far. We went on to catch a heap more barra plus a few big threadys at the mouth of Sampan which topped of a great trip.
Image ImageImage
Big thanks to Lee for showin us around, taking some great photos and helping us drink some Ord river rum!
After this trip I couldn’t help myself and did another day trip down to sampan the following sat. We trolled the mouth hoping for another big girl but it was all pretty quiet. We ended up flicking all the creek mouths on the way back up river and caught 4 or 5 fish all between 50 to 60 cm on soft plastics. We dropped a heap more as the fish were hitting them right at the side of the boat but not hooking up. We ended up at the third barrage where I jumped of the boat onto the bank to fish a likely looking junction. Image
I was using my little spin rod with a 65mm drop bear when I saw a big bow wave right on the edge of the bank. I flicked my plastic just past it and dragged it in front of it and a massive metre plus barra came out and engulfed it right at my feet! As soon as it felt pressure it burned of down stream and I started screaming to the other guys to get the boat so we could chase it. The barra pulled of about 150m of line before I just managed to turn it then the hook pulled leaving me standing there stunned! :o So no Metrey for me for Feb but im hoping that all changes next month! Hopefully it rains solid till im back next break and the fish keep biting.
Cheers Link
:drinking1:
Last edited by lincoln on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Nice fish there lincoln 8-)
First big girl for the year from Tommycut maybe......... :drinking1:

Cheers bullet. :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

great fish linc...great report!! Well done
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

oh great. another metre barra caught by someone else. My depression deepens.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Top write up and photo's Lincoln :mrgreen: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
seafarer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by seafarer »

LUCK BUGGER :mrgreen: DECKIES ALLWAYS CATCH THE SKIPPERS FISH :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"hold on "
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Great story and photos!
:mrgreen:

Makes me wish that I had a boat.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

One great read mate. Makes me miss it even more. 2 weeks to go!
Sweet pics as well. That Bandit, aint he a champ! :clap:

Richie
Mad KEEN!
bandit

Post by bandit »

Top post lincon. I was gonna post the pic of metery but didnt wanna steal your glory :applause:

who needs thermocells :P , when you got ord river rum :lol:
or was that the carton of beer before or bottol of red afterwards.. i cant remember :drinking2:

seriously tho, the thermocells work a treat, i like to use them in a combination for best effect, the thermos, mossie coils, mossie spray and the main ingredient copious amounts of alcohol :mrgreen:

great trip, cheers for the good times :drinking1:
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Good write and great pics Lincoln, I reckon all the best skippers steer the deckies onto the good fish.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
Branchy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Branchy »

:clap: Nice work and nice post mate, so good in fact that it obviously warranted your pic in todays paper.....again!! :mrgreen:
Branchy
meterclubwannabe
Seadog
Seadog

Post by meterclubwannabe »

great read and pics Linc :mrgreen:
what a beautiful fish!
Congrats to Joel on a new PB and joining the meter club!
Makes my feet itchy to get back there and get into it.... 2 more weeks....

Cheers :drinking1:
Cheers MCWB
------------------------
no longer a wannabe....indaclub 15 april 2009 and stoked!
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Good report mate,
Sounds like a good trip with good company and plenty of grog! :cheers: ! Can't go wrong and a few fish always a bonus!
:mrgreen: Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!