Manton Dam Baz

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Manton Dam Baz

Post by Bullet »

There's been a bit of a lack of fishing reports on the forum of late so i thought I better wack this one up to keep things ticking over :grin:

After our success at Manton in November My mate Jamsey & I went back on the 1st of Dec, the night before the full moon to have another crack.

We got to the ramp at about 9.00pm to be greeted by 2 other boats, but insted of putting in they were packing up, so we had it all to ourselves. :lolpoint:

The night started off a bit slow but as in Nov, things started to happen after 11pm. First a hit, then next pass Jamsey was on to a solid fish. It started off with some huge airial work then put its head down & arse up peeling out some serious line, after about 5 mins it was netted & 90cm of fat Baz hit the deck. 8-)

A couple more passes & it was my turn, with the fish thrashing around like mad, a bit of a down size on the first fish but at 75cm I was pretty happy as this was my Dec baz & completed my 09 Barra chellange 8-)

Not long after Jamsey was on again to another cracker, it to pulled like a train taking 30 or 40 meters of line on the first run. A good fight & a good fish at 88cm & one very happy decky :catch: By this time it was 1.30am & it was the last fish of the night we kept fishing till 2.30am but they'd shut down.

All fish were released & all caught on classic's in +3. It makes me wonder what sort of fishery we're going to have in our back yard in a few years to come. :drinking1:

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Nice fish Bullet, good question on what you might have in 4 or 5 years 8-)
Regards Dick
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top stuff Bullet, Good to read a post at Manton. :catch:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Some solid fish there bullet :applause: , love those night time photo's of the barra they look poop hot :mrgreen:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Great pics bullet...nice post!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ntfishn »

Great report... Very silver looking fish.... There has to be some horses in there by now ????
:clap:
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Great fish Bullet, :mrgreen:
How do you rate Manton barra for the fight.
I pulled a 70 out of there from the bank last week and it went hard, didnt jump much in the deep water near the net.
Called it for a much larger fish. :drinking1:
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey John,
All the fish we caught this build up have gone crazy, some of the fish were getting 2 meters of air before pelling 30 or 40 meters of line out 8-)

Needless to say we dropped our fair share & got busted off by a couple of angry bigger moddles :banghead: :banghead:

As I said in the post can't wait to see what its like in a few years :lolpoint: :o

Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

If they grow up anything like their Qld cousins & they dont go over the wall like last time then YARHOOO.
My best from the dam is a fat 97 about 6 years ago.
What is yours --- everyone?

:cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
bandit

Post by bandit »

awesome work bullet. you sure got them dam bazza worked out! so when ya taking me out there? hahaha..

sweet pics, you need a better flash tho so i can pick your spot in the darkness

cheers, :drinking1:
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Nice fish from the dam there mate. Iteresting to see people getting fish from there. There's gotta be plenty in there! Also interesting that you got the fish around the same time both times... Do you think that the Skiiers have much influence on the barra?

Cheers
Moonman
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Not sure moonman, only fished it a few times durring the day & that was pretty early in the morn so no ski boats. They would have to have some effect, I no on the Murray River back home you don't seem to get cod where there are ski boats all the time. There's plenty of room at Manton where the boats don't go. Buckaneer2, Best fish we've got so far is Jamsey's 90cm.

Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It makes me wonder what sort of fishery we're going to have in our back yard in a few years to come.
It would already be awesome if the fish didn't get past the wall net when it floods. Might be worth a FFF scuba working bee in conjunction with fisheries staff :mrgreen:
Dave M
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave M »

Great job completing the challenge Bullet and some nice fish as well. :bow: I have only tried t fish manton once, the sounder din't work that day and I have never found the time to try agoin. To many choices and not enough time off.
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Matt Flynn wrote:
It makes me wonder what sort of fishery we're going to have in our back yard in a few years to come.
It would already be awesome if the fish didn't get past the wall net when it floods. Might be worth a FFF scuba working bee in conjunction with fisheries staff :mrgreen:
Apparently in the Proserpine dam they don't let the water level get as high as the spillway. That way they cant try to escape over it. Maybe we should follow suit & release water in the wet.

Does anyone know the details? :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.