chasing october barra

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
meterclubwannabe
Seadog
Seadog

chasing october barra

Post by meterclubwannabe »

a trip to bynoe for me and 2 trips to shoal bay for faulksy had not produced a legal october barra for either of us :banghead: .... however some mates had a good time with a 59 chewing fish from bynoe and a 90 & a 94 from shoal bay gracing the decks of the yellow boat earlier in the month while faulksy only managed to get small fish and blown away at the rock. :grin: :mrgreen:
Image Image Image

so when asked where i wanted to head to have another crack for october barra i wasn't quite sure :-? . after checking the tides and weighing all the options i put it out there :idea: ...how about we try corroboree we can go for an early morning start and see what happens. faulksy agreed despite us both having heard reports of it shutting down.

A mate's birthday dinner (HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUTTO :grin:) and a few :drinking2: on friday night saw us not getting to sleep until midnight so with 4 1/2 hours sleep under our belt we woke up trying to hit the boat ramp at first light but as usual it took a while to get the circus on the road and we didn't get to the ramp till about 630. We arrived to find only half a dozen trailers parked up and a boat that had just launched ahead of us... we got a bit excited about the peace and hoped it would stay this way for the day.

Hit the water and faulksy drove us to the first spot while i rigged up the gear. Pulled up, lines in, start first troll (soft plastics along the weed bed), within the first 50m bang i'm on. Fought the fish for a short while before making the call "powertail" as the all too sad donk donk donking was happening on the end of the line.. sure enough the first fish of the day was a small powertail :banghead: ah well hopefully our luck would improve. we trolled this run for a llittle while but didn't do any good. no touches and no fish.

Moved onto the s bends and quickly nailed a 50cm barra on a squidgies gold 130mm soft plastic (so much for the bigger the lure the bigger the fish) with faulksy following quickly behind nailing a 53.
Image Image
it was mid morning and we were both happy to have a barra each on the board but disappointed by the lack of size. continued trolling and bang i was on, we watched as a 70+ model porpoised through the air not once but twice and successfully spat the hooks after crossing my line over another boats :banghead:

it was nearly lunch time and we still hadn't had any more fish when faulksy decided to change it up a bit and try a shallow hard body (white and red bomber) within a few moments of starting the first troll run with this he was on but something didn't feel right. The fish had some serious fight and felt very heavy but did not feel like it was a barra. Turned out it was a barra that had managed to get itself hooked in the back hence it felling rather odd. Managed to get it into the boat and it measured in at a solid 73. faulksy was pretty happy to be on the board for october at last

things were real quiet, no one else was catching fish so we were not feeling confident at all as we were into the hottest part of the day. Pulled up under a shady tree for some lunch, a brew and a siesta waiting for the afternoon.

We started fishing again at about 2pm with there being bugger all boats on the water still. About half an hour later and no fish the afternoon brigade charged with heaps more boats coming onto the water but still pretty quiet for your average corroboree saturday.

We struggled on for the next 2 hours or so without any hits or barra to show... couldn't even tempt a powertail.

About 430pm (with the good old drop bear on) my reel started screaming. I was a bit worried as my reel was fairly low on line and when i looked down i could see the spool. "Get on the motor chase that fish" i shouted just as i thumbed the spool to try and slow whatever this was down a bit.... managed to regain some line and feeling a little more comfortable then at first i watched in awe as my line kept screaming off then i'd get some back and it would take off again. We had not seen whatever this was and so were a bit worried that it was going to be a stonking great powertail... we got it near the boat when we saw the flash of silver and knew it was a nice barra. faulksy with a great net job a short while later and this 80cm beauty graced the deck of our boat and boy was i a happy camper to have it on the board for october

Shortly thereafter faulksy hooked up on a little lucifer and a bit of motorwork was required as the fish kept trying to head for the lily pads. A terrible net shot by me that almost pulled the hooks saw the fish scream off again at a rate of knots before being reeled back to the boat for a golden net shot resulting in faulksy bettering his fish for the day when this 76cm fish hit the deck

We pulled out as the sun went down after a long day on the water happy with our day. Of the fish we had in the boat 3 were good solid fish - this said we think it was more luck than management as most other boats we spoke to out there hadn't managed any barra - only powertails and sleepy cod. it was a long slow day with beautiful surroundings and i can certainly think of worse ways to have spent it!
:cheers:

Cheers MCWB
------------------------
no longer a wannabe....indaclub 15 april 2009 and stoked!
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Awsome effort guys!! Good to see you out there and amoungst it...
I should've went fishing Saturday instead of visiting the boat show..?

Cheers
Moonman
bandit

Post by bandit »

good report guys. some great photos! particuarlly like the glassed out pic of the barra, at mouth of king by the looks! your typical glassed out build up shot 8-) good to hear u got on the board faulksy, i know the feeling of putting ur deckies onto big barra when u really need one yourself :bricks:

cheers :drinking1:
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Moonman wrote:Awsome effort guys!! Good to see you out there and amoungst it...
I should've went fishing Saturday instead of visiting the boat show..?

Cheers
Moonman
Was great to catch you guys out there last week. Thats the best part of FFF for mine being able to have a yarn on the water with other keen fishos even if you almost drive right past them at first :cheers:

Bandit. I could not buy a Barra until Saturday but I guess you have those runs. Looks like you put your dad onto a really nice fish. :drinking1:
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Great report and awesome happy snaps too! :mrgreen:
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Excellant report MCWB, some nice fish to boot for october :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Image Image
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top report and some good fish taken for the month. Keep it up

Some great pics in there as always :clap: