Change of plans = Failure

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Change of plans = Failure

Post by Moonman »

Well Liam and I decided Monday was looking good for a fish at Shady, but I was convinced buy a somewhat hit and miss mate to venture to the mouth of the Daly. The words "its going off" spring to mind... A last minute check of the forum Sunday night helped to seal the deal with only reports of rats at shady. Anyways we'd headed off down the Stuart Highway at 4am and was too late to turn back now. Should have checked the radar before we left as it had been raining heavily in the Daly region all morning. There was 200mm of water over the road at Reynolds and the Banyan Farm crossing was at 400mm over the road. One of the locals was up early having a flick. Dropped the boat on the water at Perry's Ferry as the river is now just below the road. All was good for the first part of the trip down to about Reidy's with all creeks bar Elliot flowing backwards. Then the rain began, and it was heavy, visibility was only about 50 metres! We copped it on the chin until we got to clear creek (dirty water creek), where were stopped for a flick and waited for the rain to ease. Another hour passed before it settled to a drizzle and without any action at clear we headed onto our destination near Palmerston Island hoping for some rumoured single mothers :naughty: . Again we were hit by another rain storm, but finally got there around 10:30am an hour after the best part of the tide... :banghead:

On went the big lures, Liam with a big drop bear squidgee and I was using a big white ghost X-rap. We cast at the mouth and a few likely snags inside the creek for nothing. Another move and we were throwing our lures around another smaller creek mouth. I had cast my X-rap upstream and managed a slight overrun, so by the time I had stripped the line off a began to retrieve my lure it had drifted back into a small mangrove that was growing on the corner of the creek. As I took up the slack I've called sh*t snagged, but before i know it the snag is kicking back at me and spashing on the surface! Quickly changing my tune to "im on!" the fish is instantly wrapped around the mangrove. I instructed liam to release some anchor rope and get ready with the net as I could feel the line rubbing around the tree. I drove the boat towards the tree hoping the fish would again come to the surface to be netted before cutting through my braid. However as we got closer it managed to untangle itself and headed for the open water. Now safe I only had to get it into the net. Thankfully things went right and a nice salty silver 80cm barra made its way into the boat, with my leader looking very worse for wear!

The tide was now dropping rapidly but still not much action around. Mullet were few and far between and we didn't hear a boof all day. We checked a couple of other creeks in the area without a touch before heading back to the first spot for the incoming around 3pm. Back on went the White X-rap and a few lazy and now tired casts at the mouth later and I hooked up finally. This fish made a good first run and was looking good to be bigger than the first. I had turned its head and had it coming back to us when it made a final headshaking leap and spat the lure right in front of me... All I saw was beautiful yellow finned silver bullet crashing back into the water. :bonk:

Well another couple of hours past us by without a touch and the tide was rising but still no sign of any bait... 6:30 came and we decided it wasn't worth staying overnight with more storms on the horizon and no fish, so up anchored and headed for home.

We made it to Clear Creek just on dark and had a bit more of a flick but were just wasting our time so moved on. Thank god for the Lowrance GPS when heading home in the dark, just stick to that thin red line!! With Liam mounted on the bow with supercheap spotlight (best $10 ever spent) in hand searching for floating timber or fridges..? Made it back to Elliot without and dramas and pulled up to refuel just to be safe. Back on the go and the storms were now in full swing with lightning striking around us and pouring rain the whole way back from about No Fish. The spotlight became almost useless as you couldn't see 15 metres in front of you for the rain. Finally after what felt like an eternity we arrived back at the ramp around 10:30 rather damp but glad to be back and not sleeping in the rain! After packing everything up and pumping another thousand litres from the hull we headed off hoping the crossing hadn't come up. To our surprise it had actually dropped to 200mm and there were freshies all over the place. Even had a small one chase some bait fish over the road when our lights showed him where they were. The drive home was long and dry of course, getting home around 1am... What a Mission!! Barra Fillets $150/Kg!!

:drinking1:
Cheers!
Moonman

DAIWA SALTIST ENTRY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Top report Moonman :mrgreen:

Hell of a long trip to come back in crappy conditions. It is times like that you realise the value of a good deckie. :o

Anyway on the bright side, the fish you got wasn't a bad size.

Cheers for the info. :cheers:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

MM maybe not the best of days but way better than being at work :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Shouldn't you be out working instead of wasting all that time fishing????
noundz

Post by noundz »

Top post MM and bad luck :mrgreen: Nothing like trying tho :mrgreen: I am currently planning my next success or failure :twisted: .....see what happens :cheers:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

arrhh the serenity!

your hardcore and wetcore :bonk:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
bandit

Post by bandit »

long way to go for 1 fish :banghead: ... but some quality points on the board for feb none the less. well done :drinking1:
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Great report Moonman, at least the wind was good to you, my last trip a couple of weeks ago it was blowing about 20 knots straight up those creeks & they where unfishable. I would love a 80 plus fish at the moment, only one in nine months but the mojo WILL return. Just have to put the hours in. :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
Fish'n Chick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fish'n Chick »

Yep, you know it's wet when your butt crack is running a banker. Had a couple trips on the Vic like that two years ago but minus the fish. :surf: