Shady opening

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Big Col
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shady opening

Post by Big Col »

Well me and a mate decided to hit shady on sat night for the opening was a bit of a last minute thing as we had planed to go but then cancelled because of the weather, got the phone call at 7:30pm sat night sayin stuff it lets toughen up and head out there, anyway the road in was pretty averaqge in some places but ok for most of the way, there are a few washouts to look out for though. Got down to the ramp just after midnight and started to get the boat ready saw all the head lights on the barrage crazy if you ask me. anyway finished getting the boat ready and was about to launch when the fisheries guys pulled up, same guys as we saw down the daly a couple of weeks ago, on their way home i guess had a bit of a chat to them before putting the boat in. they said a few fish around had been caught off the barrage right after midnight about 60cm or so and that all the real big crocs seemed to be upstream sitting on the freshwater side near the ramp thanks for the heads up guys.

well after we got the boat in we putted over to the other side of the barrage and sat there and flicked it for a good hour or so without a touch, could see sets of red eyes all over the place and yet people where still going out over knee deep on the barrage to fish :bonk: :croc: so without a fish in the boat headed off to look at the other barrages in sampan most looked ok but didn't produce for us at night.
At about 4am the decision was made to head through the cutting and see if any of the tommycut barrages where any better. Only just made it through on the bottom of the tide, it was actually quite amazing just to see how much timber was sticking up a few meters, looks like the crabber has been cutting it back at midtide stumps all over the place really looks quite dangerous. :bricks: saw heaps of big crocs on the way through there as well one well over 4 meters.

We got out just before the water ran out and fished all the way down to the mouth arriving just after sunrise there where already 5 boats down there trying every method you could think of for no results just a side note be careful there is a big rockbar a couple of Km's down from the cutting exit that is very nasty drying at low tide i didn't know it was there and it nearly ended our trip only just got back off the plane in time dinged the prop and skeg a bit but the motor was still good 8-) , it looked lumpy out the front but saw a few boats comming in from the jew reefs so it cant have been to bad. it was dirty water at the mouth and didn't look to good for trolling but we did manage a few good hits. We stayed here till a bit of a storm hit and decided that it was time to head back upstream fishing most gutters and creeks along the way half way back up tommycut found an ok looking creek and we had a few more hits and then dropped a couple of little threadies hooked while trolling.

we kept go up tommycut to have a look at the dead forrest but it was dirty and dead up there so turned and headed back to some of the barrages that looked so good the night before in sampan. On the trip back through the cutting passed 5 or so boats and lets just say there are some wankers out there :fubird: :evil: :fubird: flying around blind corners nearly got cleaned up a couple of times someone is going to get really hurt there soon. and after what we saw the night before all the stumps sticking up they're crazy. can't wait for either the trees to grow over and force people to slow down or something like that to happenand let me add it willnot saying that it wiil be me but sooner or later someone is going to get the s...ts with the behavior of a few who spoil it for all. :banghead:

Got to the first one and we anchored up flicking across the whitewater and got a few fish one every 10mins or so old mate Sacky(FFF name) was having one of those days every second cast he would hook up on something out in the middle and snap off so he spent most of the time re-rigging, funny enough i didn't hook it once and cast to the same spot for about an hour. landed 4 fish up to 64cm before another boat drove up and parked right where we were casting and getting hits not more then 10 meters from our boat :fubird:
anyway they jumped out on the bank and caught a couple of rats upstream before moving off after 45mins of me and sacky seeing who could land our big soft plastics close enough to spray water into their boat without hitting it!! :rofl: :fu:

not long after they left was thinking of jumping up on the barrage and flicking the upstream side when a monster croc pops up about 10 meters away :o he showed more then a passing intrest in us as seeing as he was very close to if not over 5 meters we decided that he could have his barrage and headed off to the next one, just a point here this was the same barrage that a couple of blokes had picked as their place to hit the sack the night before in only a small (under 4 meters) tinni so just be careful out there.

headed up to the next barrage and landed a few more swamp dogs, lost a few as well to a barbed wire fence that was just under water. other then that it was a pretty quite trip on the fish front and needs a heap more rain to get the level upwater was about a foot over the barrage, it still amazes me the amount of people walking into the water or fishing off the bank at barrages we saw heaps off big crocs and it wont be long till one of them takes someone who is doing something stupid :croc:

it was a good trip out there but i wont be going back there for about a month as it needs a lot of rain to clear tommycut out, saw a few buffs on the road on the way home as well so be carefull on the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Awesome post and top pics mate :mrgreen:
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ntfishn »

Just what we were after Col - great report mate!!
Cheers
Timbo :mrgreen:
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

That croc in the water was in about the same spot Sunday arvo, Not a bad sized handbag.......
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
Barralistic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Barralistic »

Great report and pic's can't wait to get out there myself. Hoping the rain starts soon.
It has to be in the boat to count!
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Well done Col great report :applause: :applause: :applause:
cheers :drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Top report and a great read. :cheers:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Sacky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sacky »

Collies nice write up.

You forgot to mention that you left our bl..dy bacon and eggs back in town. :x

We coulda cooked up a storm out there. :chef2:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Sacky wrote: You forgot to mention that you left our bl..dy bacon and eggs back in town. :x
hahaha :rofl: It's always good to have mates to remind you of life's little mishaps. I just look in the mirror and go, Damn, what a monumental MISHAP!

I left Matt's new rod still in it's cover from the tackle shop in the boat, it blew out near Berrimah cross roads somewhere! :bonk:

anyway. you did better than I did there this time last year. Jasonmcc jinxed my boat. Flat battery, no fish, bad weather even his jokes were bad. :roll:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

An excellent post mate,
thanks for the info on the crocs and boat crazies. It is only a matter of time before there is a bad head on prang on our water ways. Our boat numbers and capabilities have changed a lot over the last few years, maybe it is time for licensing? :-?

Good that you got onto some fish, and I guess it will only get better with some more big rain that we are due.

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

doors off wrote:An excellent post mate,
thanks for the info on the crocs and boat crazies. It is only a matter of time before there is a bad head on prang on our water ways. Our boat numbers and capabilities have changed a lot over the last few years, maybe it is time for licensing? :-?

Good that you got onto some fish, and I guess it will only get better with some more big rain that we are due.

Doors Off
I think it was only last year that 2 boat's collided head on (think they were guides) that dropped clients into the drink or were injued (memory is not what what it was). Not sure what the outcome was??
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

I think we have to put this talk about licencing into perspective
correct me if im wrong but all the talk about idiots on the water lately
is in relation to the cutting....
Now if you have gone through there most times you have to go through there on the plane....very narrow ....blind corners :shock: :shock:
If you go there you have to accept the risk simple as that
I,m afraid licencing wont stop idiots
cheers :drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3:
probably not the right place to post this......sorry
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Top post Col :applause: Leavin the bacon & eggs behind would have cost ya, I bet, but not as bad as drivin around to Ruby Is and realising the 2Lt's of Mr Beam were still in the cruiser :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Still haven't lived that one down :drinking1: :drinking1:
And as far as the cutting goes could travel be restricted to down stream between 5am to 11 am and returning between 1pm to 7pm with a couple of hours safety margin for the slowies, then at least in the peak traffic time's everyone 's going the same way. Hard maybe with low water levels, but could it be so simple???? Wankers and idiots will always be around :fubird: :fubird: :fubird: worst luck :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

is it time to attack the cutting with chainsaws and open it up again. the tree growth has be phenomenal over the last 5 years. In 2002 it was acceptable but now is like trying to drive a hummer down the alses of Kmart.

i volenteer to swing under a helicopter and hack away at it with a machette!

:rofl:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

don't stress about the bacon and eggs, went to shady last year and the master and commander left the video camera in the car (not that it mattered cause we had nothing but trouble) and the passenger side (my side) window down, and it rained so guess who got to sit in the puddle!! He paid for it. :twisted: Suppose I should just be thankful that people were honest that day and nothing was taken :mrgreen:
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin