Daly 16/01/09

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly 16/01/09

Post by Shane Doevy »

With my return to work Monday JD, myself and Harmsey headed off to have a day trip to the Daly last night at about 1030pm as Harmsey had babysitting duties until then. Trip down went well with a bit of rain about to cool things we were on the water and down around Elizabeth 0330. Mossies were kind and the weather was cool so we had a few casts and a bit of a sleep on the deck.
Up early and fished the usual run offs in the area - the river had definetely risen and the boofing that had been almost continuous the previous week was nowhere to be heard. Harmsey spotted some birds on the bank and we drifted down and he was soon connected to his January barra despite its best efforts to wrap him around the bushes we got him out and in the net. JD got a bit of a rude awakening as he had been sleeping on the casting deck at the time when we caught the fish and so we dragged the barra tail across his face :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . We were casting at the fresh water mix below Elizabeth when Harmsey got smashed by a good sized bull shark which we released. Other boats started to arrive so we made our way downstream all the way to Reidys creek flicking at any of the colour changes.
I landed a nice 65cm swampy barra on a Reidys 3" gold rubber cast at the edge of the weeds when we heard a boof back under the weeds. He was the only fish we could find so we started to work our way back upstream stopping and casting at any of the small runoffs. We found one very small creek mouth that was barely running but JD lobbed a 80mm drop bear squidgie in and the water exploded and a great looking silver barra did a barrel roll and went on his way :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . The little bloke was less than impressed and his mood did not improve when he dropped another fish that did not connect a couple of casts later. With a few good sized fish around i decided to fit a stinger to my Reidys 3" gold rubber and cast it tight into a snag only to be thumped by a nice fish - I thumbed the spool and attempted to drag him out but he got me around the snag and got off :bricks: . When we dragged the snag out we found the stinger hook had been snagged and the fish had straightened the single hook - ahh the joys of fishing with rubbers - damned if you do and damned if you dont. Things went pretty quiet and we continued to work our way back up towards Elizabeth. We tied under the trees and JD recovered a Reidys lure from the trees and we had some lunch. Punter was fishing in Elizabeth and had lost the lure so we gave him the lure back and worked our way back to the bank we had got the initial fish on but no luck.
The fish did not come on the bite like we thought they would so we made our way back to the ramp and pulled out. Spoke with a bloke there and he told us he had got his 5 fish and had gone down as far as Waterfall creek to get his fish. He didnt say he got his fish down there but that he had gone down that far.
Had a good day out on the water - almost enough fish to make it interesting - i reckon the fish are further down the river at the moment but i could be wrong. There is still good coloured water coming from the Elizabeth creeks and the creeks down to Reidys but the boofing in the grass is not happening right now - my guess is the river needs to drop again. Thanks to Harmsey for a good day out.
Good to put a face to a few FFF members down that way on this trip.
Cheers
Shane
:drinking1: :drinking1: :drinking1:

Daiwa Saltist entry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

yeah thanks for a good day on the water shane and JD. cant wait for the next one.

it was good to run into Punter, Petto and Dalydude to put a few more faces to FFF names aswell

:drinking1: Harmsey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

onya boys not bad for a single day on the water.
back to work :lol: me too
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Nice do there harms and not a bad tarpon either!! Too bad the big bazza's weren't playing the game that day... Still you're on the board for January and 09! Champion!
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Nice to meet up with you blokes! :mrgreen: Thanks for returning Shawry's new lure :rofl: three casts and it went floating away.....don't ask!!

We only boated two on the day a 75cm and an 85cm, the next day at the little lizzie we got two more a 78cm and an 82cm. Shawry did the deed on friday and it was my turn on saturday......sunday the fish won the day. All the fish were destined for the table and were a good colour.

We dropped quite a few and had one broken hook :banghead: and one leader rubbed through by a good fish who took to the reeds, for three days fishing. Not as many on the water as we expected and it was great to see the fisheries and local constabulary out checking catches.

Apparently some drongo dropped a few bags of fish frames on Dorat road :fubird:

Thanks again to all the fishos who support us by buying ice here :mrgreen:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....