Finniss River access

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Finniss River access

Post by Matt Flynn »

I noticed in another thread that there was some alleged aggro down at the mouth of the Finniss.

My understanding is that the access to Stingray Head and the Finniss River mouth is through private property - a station.

I spoke to the property owner down that way last month and he said he was letting people use the access only temporarily.

I haven't looked at the land titles but I assume he does in fact own the access route as he says. If so, perhaps the NT Government should get involved here and try to sort this out, given that the Finniss River is becoming so popular.

There might be some way to create access to the Finniss mouth that keeps everyone happy. Land access to the river is a lot safer than taking a dinghy across Fog Bay, even if it is a strictly 4WD track.

Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as the property owner letting people in to fish. Once access is open you get the usual suspects who shoot or interfere with stock and equipment, dump rubbish and mess the place up. But the station owner might be open to some sort of arrangement.