Gulf cyclone

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Gulf cyclone

Post by Sullo »

Windy has it coming back down the east coast,on prossy by sat and going right down to brissie

https://www.windy.com/?2018-12-15-06,-1 ... ,m:c2IajTI
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

yes not good for the fishing scene down here in qld .we have lost so many fish over the walls of dams in the last 6 years this is getting rediculous,the amount of money and man hours put into these dams by the fish stocking groups would be scary .my local dam here in hervey bay has just had a stocking of 15000 barra put in on sunday .it is a tiny dam in terms of qld s other dams and doesnt take much to flow over .with this big event coming by looks of it we could lose the remaining barra we have that are a decent size .very very dissapointing .hope it veres of into the ocean before it gets here .i know peter faust needs some water though to top it up a bit so hopefully they get what they need
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Could do with some rain here in Darwin to help kick start the Barra.

I'm still surprised BOM forecast the turn around late Sunday when the system was still over the mainland. Pretty ballsy call that early out...

Dry and windy build up here with Westerlies making it messy.
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

still got me baffled how they can predict it to do what its going to do
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Funny how the top half half of Australia's barra fishing country wants a cyclone and eastern half of the barra fishing country doesn't. Wild fishery vs stocked.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Just went to Cat 2....

It's been dry over that way though. Mate in Innisfail told me a day ago they were still on water restrictions even after the rain went through. 3392mm for the year and 350 for this month in 8 days. Must be dirty ocean from the cane farm run off.

We'll get our turn soon no doubt.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Qld east coast northern rivers are short due to proximity of Great Dividing Range to coast. No pastoral land for run-off except some cane. Rivers rise quickly and drop quickly and don't get dirty much. All over in a day or two.

WE want rain in catchment in Fitzroy for barra recruitment purposes. If it dumped s...loads in Isaccs and Connors rivers (Fitzroy tributaries) near the coast, it'd be like manna from heaven.

Is all natural here so that's why cyclone and rain would be welcome.

Probably will have gone back to a rain depression here unless it heads back out to sea to regenerate.. Rain depression OK. Still lots of rain on southern side.

Send it down, Hughie.
Regards
Ronje
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

I got 310mm over the last few days but another 300 would be good,fausts is only 20ks away and it only had 25mm
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Monsoon trough along top of Coral Sea predicted to form on Friday with TC Owen on western end.
Regards
Ronje
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Cat 3 and growing....

I reckon you guys are going to get your wish.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Sitting right between secret spot x and Rosie’s at Lorella.
There may be a few trees down.p, but will be good to get good early rain. They had a lot of fires through there this season, so will be nice and geeen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

seadog how weird that place is you get 310 mm and 20 k away get 25 where its needed that happened last year too didnt it
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Keeping an eye on what's happening with this cyclone.

Owen seems to be like the Scarlet Pimpernel. "They seek him here, they seek him there...". All over the place.

I'm starting to suspect that we're not dealing with a single low pressure system that's moving erratically. That its not a single system that's travelling at warp speed over NQ.

There seems to be so many low pressure troughs all over the place and that "Owen" follows 1 trough for a while then peters out. Then another circulating l/p system starts up in a nearby trough and is dubbed ex-t/c Owen.

To me, the chicken entrails indicate that Owen will peter out in behind Cairns overnight. Meanwhile yet another trough lies at angle basically N'w to S/e through Cairns and Townsville. Another circulating l/p system will start up near Townsville and simply be called ex-tropical cyclone Owen when its not.

In the Coral Sea and most of NQ isobars are a long way apart so little in the way of pressure gradients around. So Owen simply seems to wander around randomly.

The big low over Vic is influencing Qld weather by pulling stuff down from the Gulf in a s/e clockwise motion.

That's the only way I can relate to the speed and unpredictability that this things exhibiting.
Regards
Ronje