Site Administrator

Manton croc

Post by Matt Flynn »

goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Manton croc

Post by goldfish »

Nothing like a bit of hard evidence to shut up a few smart alecs... :lolpoint: :lolpoint: :lolpoint:

I spotted and reported this animal back at the start of December.
Good to see it finally removed :applause:

currently manton is still well below the dam wall so claims of it moving in when it links up from flooding in the last few weeks are a bit far fetched IMO...

There's plenty of spots for a big one to live undetected or evade their capture attempts in the creek and paperbark swamp areas of the dam. But I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to catch it though...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Bacon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bacon »

Did they catch the baby salties you misidentified at night time which was outside of the time that you were allowed to be there?
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

The trouble with this site, is there are too many smart arses
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Everyone fishes it at night Bacon. Otherwise it is hardly worth fishing.

And wazdog, smart arses are all over the internet, Facebook is their HQ.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Bacon wrote:Did they catch the baby salties you misidentified at night time which was outside of the time that you were allowed to be there?
The gates are often left unlocked so that people can fish at night. I don't think it's a sure thing but there are plenty of people on this site who over the years have done a night fish there.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

dannett wrote:
Bacon wrote:Did they catch the baby salties you misidentified at night time which was outside of the time that you were allowed to be there?
The gates are often left unlocked so that people can fish at night. I don't think it's a sure thing but there are plenty of people on this site who over the years have done a night fish there.
I fish out there at night a lot, never seen the gates closed.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

So are there too many smartarses or not enough?

This site would be less interesting without them!!!

On crocs in Manton Dam, it not that uncommon that they show up in the dam or are spotted as crocs do move around a bit, but how do they get in there?

Do they sneak around the side of the wall and come from the Adelaide River and Manton creek or do they come from Darwin River Dam which is only a few kms away and closer since they made that dam bigger in 2011?

I have fished it a bit at night , including a time when rangers were out there, we had a chat and they had no issue with the fishermen being on the dam that night.

There is some interesting info on croc movements available on the net for all the croc experts out there:

Australia Zoo in QLD has been tracking them for many years in a couple of river systems.

Their web page shows track maps of a number of animals

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/conserva ... rocodiles/

One study looked at movement of animals and identified that crocs move a lot more than previously though. Subordinate animals have high and sustained rates of movements and even dominate animals moved hundreds of kilometres.

Here is the link to the paper:

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/uploads/ ... oS-ONE.pdf

There is plenty of other interesting info in there too

Female crocs also move more than thought

Subordinate males sneak around and often get lucky in a dominant crocs home range

And removal of dominate crocs probably causes an increased in croc movements and croc traffic in that area.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

newfisherman wrote: On crocs in Manton Dam, it not that uncommon that they show up in the dam or are spotted as crocs do move around a bit, but how do they get in there?

Do they sneak around the side of the wall and come from the Adelaide River and Manton creek or do they come from Darwin River Dam which is only a few kms away and closer since they made that dam bigger in 2011?
I have seen a turtle climbing the trail to the top of the wall. I guess a croc, particularly a smaller one could do the same.